Skip to Main Content

What is a record of employment?

If you have been let go from your place of employment, your employer has to issue a record of employment document.

An ROE gives information on your employment history. It’s a record of insurable earnings and gives the hours the employee worked for an employer. It is needed in order to file a claim for employment insurance.

Even if an employee doesn’t plan to apply for EI benefits, the employer has to issue an ROE.

An ROE will help determined whether you are eligible for EI benefits and for how long. Without a ROE you cannot receive EI benefits.

Employer obligations

It is an employer’s obligation to issue a record of employment within five calendar days after the later of:

  • The first day of the interruption of earnings; and
  • The day on which the employer becomes aware of the interruption of earnings.

The requirement to issue the ROE quickly is there in order to prevent employment insurance fraud.

The ROE doesn’t just have to be issued if the employee leaves or is terminated but also if the work is interrupted in situations that include: pregnancy, illness, injury, leave without pay, layoff and adoption leave.

The employer can issue an ROE two ways: electronically or through a paper ROE.

An employer has the responsibility of storing his or her copy of the ROE for six years after the year the ROE was issued. That not only applies to paper copies of the ROE but also electronic copies.

If the employer has made a mistake on the ROE or has to change or update the document, she or he has to issue an amended ROE.

Employee obligations

It’s the employee’s responsibility to make sure to submit the ROE to Service Canada once the EI claim has been made if it’s in paper form.

Take note: if the ROE has been electronically submitted by your employer then you will probably not be given a paper copy and Service Canada should have it. It’s best to speak to your employer and ask if he or she electronically submitted the ROE. If your employer has filed the ROE electronically, you should be able to access it through your My Service Canada account.

It’s important for people to know that you can start your EI claim even if you don’t have the ROE yet. The employer has the obligation to issue you one within a certain time period so you will receive a ROE but the claim should be started as soon as possible from the last date of employment.

For further questions about your record of employment, contact your employer or Service Canada.

Read more:

Understanding the Record of Employment form

Records of employment

Employment Law in Canada

Record of Employment – An Employer's Responsibility

Dude, Where's my ROE?